Structural Health Monitoring
The Structural Health Monitoring System consists of a variety of different sensors, instrumentation devices and automatic data acquisition systems that will be installed and configured to provide continuous, real-time measurements of structural responses and ambient environmental conditions. The SHMS is used to establish a structural health baseline for the newly constructed structure and to monitor the structure to identify future damage and deterioration.
The Structural Health Monitoring System will
- Detect deflections and/or damage that is present in the structure
- Detect geometric location of the damage
- Quantify the severity of the damage
- Provide useful data from which the remaining service of life of the structure can be determined.
Structural Health Monitoring Systems
The Smart Structures solution (SHM), when used during construction, is a permanent part of the structure through its serviceable life.The systems deliver critical data on strength and integrity throughout a structure’s life cycle — data that is delivered wirelessly back to the users.This provides municipalities with unprecedented real-time data on the health of a structure which is especially important during and after storms, earthquakes, floods, and bridge impacts where the structural integrity may be impacted.
Benefits of Structural Health Monitoring (SHM)
- Boost life safety
- Saving of costs and time
- Continuous observation
- Automation of maintenance
- Detecting damage in early stage to enable proactive response
- Extension of major overhaul cycle